Saturday, September 8, 2007

Confessions of a pseudo workaholic


I was talking to a friend on phone a few days back, and he was bickering about how his life has become so boring and monotonous, he has nothing to do once the office ends. He wanders around with friends, drinking beer, going to movies, eating out... basically spending money to kill time. And when he asked me, I had no inkling of what he was feeling. I told him so, and he told me, "Dude, you've become a workaholic".
Have I really become one?
This term is often associated with those who spend long hours at work, sometimes when not necessary. They pile up work for themselves, perhaps to cut themselves off from the outside world, or maybe to get their mind off some other matter.

IT DOESN’T APPLY TO A PERSON JUST BECAUSE HE / SHE IS BUSY

I am busy and more or less happy with my life. Of course, one always wants more. But I'm comfortable to be where I am at present. I know where I am going and what I want.

As I talked more about this to various people, I found most of them had a similar opinion of my life. I guess it is so because these habits are the hallmark of a compulsive workaholic, someone who looks busy and happy with his life, who just doesn't have the time to stop and look back, to catch his breath midway...he is so accustomed to looking ahead...only in few desolate moments would he / she wonder whether there is something that he / she is missing? And by the time this thought grabs him / her, there is the next thing to be done. People (even my relatives) tell me that I am so often lost in my own thought, reading some book, surfing the net, listening to some song, watching TV, talking to someone... that I may as well be sitting on a couch in Mars... Well, sitting idle; its hard for me.
I'm just not willing to give up even an ounce of my current life to something I'm not interested in, that's the baggage I have to carry because I know what I want. People can perceive you to be arrogant or self involved, but they eventually come around.

I don’t consider myself a workaholic, because I don’t work to escape from something. I work to please myself, to prepare myself for the things to come, to add capabilities I would need to live the life I want to live in future. And by WORK, I don’t mean Office work... It could be anything, so as it keeps me busy in a constructive manner.

QUOTE:

Laziness may look attractive, but its work that gives you satisfaction.

No comments: